I also make a corn fritter recipe, adapted from the Joy of Cooking, which is similar, but calls for one cup of scraped corn kernels, 2 Tbsp of flour, salt to taste, and adds one egg yolk to the corn mixture before adding the two beaten-to-hold-a-peak egg whites.
- ~4 cups coarsely grated zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup AP flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash black pepper
- 2 large egg whitesOlive or canola oil
- Put zucchini in a colander and toss with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 20 – 30 minutes, then squeeze or press to get out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in flour, sugar and pepper.
- Beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks, then gently fold into zucchini mixture.
- In a non-stick skillet over moderately high heat, spritz with oil or film pan lightly. Spoon ~2 Tbsp batter per pancake, leaving enough room to flip them in the pan you are using (for a 10“ skillet, about 5 at a time). Cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Makes about 15 as a side dish or hors d’oeuvre
(optional) serve with Basil Chive Cream:
Blend in a blender until smooth and pale green:
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste.
Personally, I like the fritters plain, but it does look pretty!